Welcome

If you have stumbled here by accident let me first insist that there really are no accidents in life. If however, you came on your own free will then please by all means open your hearts and your minds to the "New Wine" that God has prepared for you!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Road Rage

    "Get Out of My Way!" the woman in the red sports car screams at the top of her voice while cutting three lanes of traffic, running a red light as she continues flying down the center divide in search of an opening in rush hour traffic. Sound familiar? Road Rage is an all too common event of late. I am also guilty of that ugly crime and deserve a scarlet "RR" around my neck, fettered hands and feet to be left on public display in community stocks.
     So yesterday God nailed me and the verse "Be sure your sins will find you out" came to my mind. I usually can be described as a normal, defensive driver with the occasional "You Idiot" now and again. But today  my old nature reared its ugly head allowing God to hold me accountable. I was driving on Jamacha ( which is pronounced Ham-a-shaw not Jamaica for all you East Coasters ) in the left hand turn lane with my blinker on as the left hand signal arrow flashes beckoning me to begin my turn onto Chase Ave. As I start to turn an older man in a red truck opposite me figures he does not have to stop and wait his turn at the red light so he executes a California rolling stop and basically rolls through the red light.
     Take a guess at what came out of my mouth? Yes, you guessed it, "You Idiot!". First, why did I have to respond that way? And second, It was my turn to be sure but whats the trouble if I allow him to go ahead of me how much could that possibly slow me down?  Why do we feel like we own the road in front of us? Well, I was not gonna have it any of that today so I gunned the accelerator, came up along side him and gave him a look that could kill with my brow wrinkled and firmly displaced against my normal, sweet and precious looking face. In the back of my mind something "clicked" and I thought there was something here that looked familiar. Oh well, what ever no big deal he will get over it  after all I am a black belt now. So the car I am driving in is my work truck complete with my company name and cell phone plastered on the tailgate and yes, you are one step ahead of me, my cell phone rings.
     So courageously, I did not answer it.  When I checked my messages I found the message to be an old friend who I had not seen in fifteen years who was the old man driving that red truck who, saw my name, phone number and decided to call it what it was "Road Rage"! The blood rushed to my face and sheepishly I dialed his number back. "Hey Bill", as I put my tail between my legs  "So Dean, having a little road rage are we?" on and on he rattled off how much I was a total idiot. Ouch! it hurts to be humbled but I took my punches like a man let my tail back out into its resting position. Bill was right I was being selfish and God used him to rebuke me and keep me accountable.
     Folks, we need this kind of accountability especially if it hurts. We need to slow down, I mean really slow down, take a very deep breath and remember we as Christians are representatives of Christ. Its no wonder people don't want to go to church with a bunch of us who act as selfish as the rest of the world. We have become new creatures in Christ so let us start acting like it. The human race needs more accountability. The law is like a mirror in our faces pointing out our flaws and how much we need grace. Christians are the salt and the light of the world so it has to begin with us! If we can be nice others will want what we have if we are just like the world what kind of witness is that? Lets take a first step and when we go home lets remove all Christian bumper stickers and plastic fish from the rear of our autos until that day when we can be gracious people. Step two let us all stop being so selfish. Don't forget to Breathe in and out.

No comments: