Welcome

If you have stumbled here by accident let me first insist that there really are no accidents in life. If however, you came on your own free will then please by all means open your hearts and your minds to the "New Wine" that God has prepared for you!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Key

    So I collect junk. There was a time in my life where I would see something sticking part way out of a trash can and have to slam on my brakes, pull over and skillfully dig it out without soiling my office clothes. People throw away all kinds of cool things. You would be surprised at what you can find in someones garbage, just ask any FBI agent.
   Somewhere along my travels I found an old porcelain antique door knob with the original skeleton key in it. I grabbed it. I just knew I could use it! Now, I had that old door knob and key for I don't know maybe 25 years. It sat in an old tool box under my work bench collecting allot of dust. Until one day it made the most perfect gift imaginable.
   Pete Briscoe is probably one of the most talented, young pastors on the rise in America. He pastors the Bent Tree Bible Fellowship in Carrolton Tx. http://www.btbf.org  Pete is talented to be sure but what makes Pete so important is his ability to totally surrender to and be led by the Holy Spirit. You see when God wants to use someone He first looks at the heart. So often I want to tell God how were going to do it but He insists on a humble, surrendered vessel that He can fill. I don't know why but people are often frightened when God's Spirit is moving. I have seen it happen time and time again when God starts moving in a church, half of the people get it and half totally shut God down. It's a mystery to be sure.
   So what does Pete have to do with the doorknob story? OK, so I parted with my prize possession and removed it from under the protection of my work bench and the one quarter inch of dust that was shielding it. You see I needed a special gift for Pete. Not just any old trinket or kink knack  would do so for some unknown reason I thought about the doorknob that I had not previously thought about since the last time I cleaned up my shop. So I boxed up that old door knob, addressed the box and shipped it off into the wild blue yonder of the United States Postal Service. A day later it arrived back at my house. True story.
   Pete eventually received it and he assures me that the doorknob and key are sitting somewhere in his office at Bent Tree Bible Fellowship. Maybe a surprise visit might be in order. You know that old knob is a piece of history it could have been turned by Abraham Lincoln on the night he drafted the Gettysburg Address or could have been locked to hide  Anne Frank and her family from the Nazis. Is there anything to glean here or a  moral to this story? Well, "One man's trash is another man's treasure" I think that is how God looks at us! We are His treasure. We were once lost but now are found. By the way, for the record God has delivered me from dumpster diving.

No comments: