Welcome

If you have stumbled here by accident let me first insist that there really are no accidents in life. If however, you came on your own free will then please by all means open your hearts and your minds to the "New Wine" that God has prepared for you!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Radio Show


So here I sit on the top of Mt Helix. One of the most beautiful days in any month of January I have ever seen. I’m sitting in the cool breeze under the shade of an very ancient eucalyptus tree. Above me and behind me is the giant white cross that stands as a monument to a past loved one. I wonder how many people have enjoyed the view from up here? Below the great expanse sprawls out like maple syrup or oil from a spilt can. Why is life so hard for most of us when we live in such proximity of such colossus beauty?

I can see the ocean today and the Coronado Islands. And I am wondering just how large is this Pacific Ocean of ours? The freeways below me look like matchbox car tracks as they  weave back and forth like human arteries masterfully laid out in an arm or leg. The houses up here are incredible the trend these days is Tuscany and the million dollar villas complete with their red tile roofs dot the steep slopes of this beautiful  place.

Today Greg and I recorded our third complete week of Refuge radio. We have been working hard to study for each week of shows, promote a new church plant called “Refuge”, put together a sermon, prepare for the Men’s Tuesday Night Bible study at Calvary Chapel la Mesa, attempt to keep our houses clean, pick up and take our kids to various social functions, shop for groceries and look for employment.

I just realized today that if I want to be a minister of God’s word that I need to take a vow of poverty. Greg and I have been using the Starbucks at the La Mesa Trolley platform for our church office. The other day we met yet another pastor doing the exact same thing, his name is TC Porter. Why shouldn’t I get paid to do a radio show or prepare a sermon? Greg is even more dire straights than I am. His unemployment ran out and now it feels as if there is a giant pink elephant on his back.

Today's show was great we are studying Galatians about being zealous about good things. I like passion and when I see it it makes me want to know more about the person who displays it. Jesus was a passionate guy. I think he would have been here with me today sitting in the sunshine up here on the mount. Humble, meek and Divine He is one man who left his mark on this world. As I look around at all this urban sprawl I cant help think that it was through His hands that all this came to be in the first place.

Hands that felt the iron nails pierce His hands and His feet. Splinters from a cross made from the wood of a tree that he planted in His garden, the garden of God. But He also made the hands of the men who cut the tree down that made the cross, mined the iron that was smelted into metal that fashioned the spikes.
It seems strange to me that we as the human race were able to take this man, falsely accuse him, beat Him bloody, humiliate Him, spit at Him, compel Him to carry His own cross up a hill and crucify the Son of God.

No comments: