Welcome

If you have stumbled here by accident let me first insist that there really are no accidents in life. If however, you came on your own free will then please by all means open your hearts and your minds to the "New Wine" that God has prepared for you!

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Wind under my wings



Cars were passing me as if I was a picket fence. I usually don’t have a problem going the speed limit usually the reverse is true but today I was preoccupied with texting. So first off,  I want you to know that I was not physically texting while driving but instead using my smart phone’s “hands off” option and dictating to Siri. It is actually refreshing, liberating and excellent use of my time to have both hands on the steering wheel, my eyes on the road and communicating.

When I got to bible study Donny was busy cleaning up the Youth Center. You can imagine after 8 hours of use how much of a mess thirty-five children can make. 

“Hey pastor, what’s cooking?” asks Donny with a smile as he maneuvered his motorized wheelchair to take a trash bag out to the dumpster in the parking lot. You see Johnny is a volunteer and a soldier in Christ’s army. He is always available to pray with people while hitching a ride on the bus or while holding up a cardboard sign that says “God loves you!” Suddenly while watching Donny I felt humbled and reflected on how often I start complaining about things.

So feeling a little guilty for the way in which I let myself be overwhelmed with daily life I turned and asked Donny “ What keeps you going, where does your strength come from and what is your favorite verse you like to reflect on?”

“Well pastor, there is work to be done, Jesus Christ keeps me going and I love to read Psalm 61”  smiled Donny.

Its dark after the study as Donny says goodbye and begins a journey of seven miles on the highway in his wheel chair back home. I began to think to myself “Man what a whiner I am”. So on my way home after completing a couple more “hands free” texts via Siri, I push the button on my phone and say “Siri, I love you” to which the female voice on my phone responds “You are the wind under my wings”, by the way if you know my wife please don’t tell her I talk to my phone that way.


I wonder if God looks at us in the same way Siri answered me “You are the wind under my wings”? What a word picture that is for God’s love where we fill the space under his wings; that we were created for that very reason. He values and loves us so much that He gave His One and Only Son for us; and yet while we were sinners, Jesus Christ was born into this world to save it. It’s so good to know and better to believe that God’s wings are a shelter from the storms in this life.

Because when Donny’s heart is overwhelmed he goes to God’s word for comfort and through the shelter of His wings, through the power of the Holy Spirit, the Father will lead him back to the Rock that is higher than I.  Even in our own lives when problems arise and our enemies lie in wait, again God is a strong tower that we can run into. The tent or tabernacle of His presence will be incredibly sufficient to deliver us through the veil of death and usher us into His presence. So tell me, what is there that we should fear?

 King David, who wrote this psalm as his son Absalom is forcefully taking over his kingdom throwing him out of Jerusalem into the wilderness, must have felt abandoned and forsaken by God. So even though David felt like he was at the ends of the earth God was always there with him, listening to his prayers, preparing him to get back out there and engage the enemy.

So I’m indebted to Donny who by his trust in God has showed me not to fear when the battle begins to heat up but to run to the Rock that is higher than I!








No comments: