Welcome

If you have stumbled here by accident let me first insist that there really are no accidents in life. If however, you came on your own free will then please by all means open your hearts and your minds to the "New Wine" that God has prepared for you!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thankfulness

I enjoy the fall season more than any other time of the year. It’s the rich mix of colors provided by nature that dazzle my eyes while the coolness of the weather provides me the opportunity to put on my favorite sweater and relax in the privacy of my own home. Time off for the Thanksgiving holiday gives me a chance to look back over the last eleven months and give thanks to our Great God, almighty Creator and Provider.
 

So as I have had some time to sit, relax and reflect, I have been thinking about what it is that I am thankful for. In a word I am thankful for Jesus!
 

Being consistently in a state of thankfulness does not come very easy for me these days. Sometimes I think I am turning into an ogre. Every time I get near a mirror I’m afraid I might just see a giant green, overly rounded face starring back at me. I’ve noticed my blood pressure rising and hairs falling out as I begin to look and act more and more like Shrek.
 

Traffic jams, teenage children and the day to day pressures of life chip away at our countenance until there is little left to give thanks with. Many times I have dangled from the proverbial rope of life trying desperately to hang on with my own strength. It’s in these times when I get a glimpse at my weak, fallen and very selfish nature. Its at this moment when I realize how thankful I am for God’s plan of salvation.
 

You see none of us are good enough to stand before a holy God. The bible says that God exists as light and because of the darkness that is in our hearts, we could never exist in His sinless perfection. In John 3:16 it says “That God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life”
 

So in a word I am thankful for Jesus. Within that one word is the essence of all creation. It’s because of Jesus that we have air to fill our lungs. Its because of Jesus that we have food to eat and a digestive system to process it. When I stop and think about it I am so very thankful for so many things that I have to take a dramatic pause and just give thanks that I am not in control.
 

But the source of my thankfulness lies deeper down at the root of God’s grace and mercy. While the human race remains in a state of falseness and sin God became flesh and blood and chose to be born into our world. He bore all of our sin and nailed them to a cross. The magnificent King of kings would allow the peasants of His own creation to mock, humiliate and brutally execute Him.
 

So this Thanksgiving I’m determined to put a smile on my face. To avoid my flesh, my ugly nature and to reach out to someone with a handshake, smile or help. I have so many things to be thankful for, God has given to me a beautiful, loving wife and three healthy children. He has given to me a few close friends and a job to which I can use my hands to bless my family.
 

Oh, how I am thankful for God’s One and only Son Jesus who as the bible says is the Logos or Word. In that one word is found the source of all blessings. If you have not yet discovered this fact, then ask Jesus to come into your life, heart and become your Lord and Master. He is the Living Water, the Bread of Life and the Way. So if you glance into the mirror and see hideous stranger’s face don’t be alarmed you are in good company, for all of us have sinned and fallen short of God’s glory.
 

The secret to being thankful is surrendering to your own selfish will and allowing God’s love to shine and pour through you. So this holiday season as friends and family are gathered together don’t let the little things get you down. As the casserole burns and the turkey comes out a little dry, brush it off and take in all the wonderful smiles that grace the table at which you sit.
 

Always remember the One Word that God has graced the world with “Jesus” And that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord! The fact is that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life!

No comments: