Welcome

If you have stumbled here by accident let me first insist that there really are no accidents in life. If however, you came on your own free will then please by all means open your hearts and your minds to the "New Wine" that God has prepared for you!

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Nepal

Oh how I love the fall season! As the temperature drops and the weather becomes cooler, leaves begin changing color one by one. Hues of yellow, orange and red will spill from deciduous trees that grace our local mountains. And without missing a beat the blustery north wind will join in depositing even more leaves over the entire countryside. Children will be bundled into warm coats and scarves as they trek themselves to school. Their backpacks will overflow with text books just waiting for the long Thanksgiving break. National elections will finally be over. And with its completion sounds of victory and cries of defeat will be heard echoing across our great country. America, even with all her minor blemishes, is still a bright light shining in a very dark world. 

 I recently had a rare opportunity to visit the nation of Nepal. I spent many days wondering through dirty alleyways, winding my way through the city of Kathmandu. I’ve seen open air markets where an animal carcass is butchered and thrown onto the floorboard of a filthy Rickshaw. I’ve navigated uneven Nepalese streets made up of a rough mix of broken asphalt, chunks of concrete and dirt covered in trash and feces. Children, seemingly left abandoned to the streets, beg for food and money. I’ve witnessed emaciated dogs and cats sprawled out on a sidewalk or laying in a gutter gasping for their last breaths of life. I really was not prepared for the culture shock I experienced in Nepal. Upon my return to Alpine I fell on my knees, kissed the ground and gave thanks to God. 

But what about all those people I left behind? What will be their fate? Who will help raise them from the ashes improving the standards by which they endure each day? And Nepal is only one small country out of many countries all over the world where people need the gift of hope and help. “But what can I do” you might say or “There will always be poor and starving people in the world, what difference can I make?” Well, if we claim to follow Jesus then He commanded us to go into the entire world and make disciples of all nations, teaching them all He commanded. So preaching at someone is not always the best way into their hearts. Jesus taught us that people don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care!

In the city of Kathmandu we did meet people who were helping the poor, saving children and loving the hopeless in Jesus name. But high up in the Himalayan mountains in the villages of the Langtang and Kyanjin Gumba you will not find one Christian church. The local people in this remote area are predominately of the Buddhist faith. I had the opportunity to talk to a family about what they believe and share about my faith in Jesus Christ. I explained to the father of the household that the true and living God loved all people. And that He only desired all people from all countries to come to Him and receive His free gift of salvation. You know, as my interpreter translated the gospel to this man I could see this father’s expression, on his face, and he was very interested. He had never really heard this profound truth before.

On our team there were two doctors and suitcases full of medicine, water filters and clothing. Many people were seen and treated for various diseases and ailments. Children were treated to candy and balloon animals from a young couple who accompanied our team. I brought toothbrushes, bought at our own dollar store here in Alpine, which flew out of my backpack like Humming birds at a bird feeder. People snatched up the eyeglasses and grabbed and grappled for the limited supply of clothing we had packed in. Everyone who attended the clinic left with a water treatment filter and a smile on their faces. It took three days of trekking with eight guides and porters to deliver the gifts that completely vanished in about three hours.

I’d like to challenge you all to travel somewhere in this wonderful world of ours and tell another human being just how much God loves them, and if necessary use words. By the way, there is already another trip planned for October of 2013 to the villages of Langtang  and Kyanjin Gumba in the Himalayan Mountains. Please pray about coming along with me. If you absolutely can’t come but you want to help by supplying toothbrushes, clothing, water filters or medicines send your support to P.O. Box 771, Alpine, CA. 91901 in c/o Dean Kellio. You can buy these items yourself or send support in the form of a  check filled out to Global Outreach International and I will deliver them for you. I plan to continue writing about my adventure in Nepal in next week’s column.

No comments: